Broadland Older People's Partnership is an independent body whose membership is open to any Broadland resident aged 55 or over or any Broadland resident who is a carer for an older person. Membership is free and new members are very welcome. The BOPP's aims are: To challenge, advise and comment on the development of services used by older people To provide a focal point for the different statutory agencies within Broadland to consult and liaise with the representatives (organisations and individuals) of older people To raise the profile of older people within the district
Report BOPP zoom meeting 10am Friday 16th July 2021 Meeting hosted by Brian Wells Attended by Anthony Powell, Sue Prutton, Alvin Barrick, Audrey Harnden , Joyce Groves, Pat Wilson ,Robin Knowles The meeting required a restart because of sound problems. Brian Wells opened the meeting by a report on the recent newsletter He had received fifteen responses, eight asking for deletions from the data base because of deaths or moving away. The cost of delivery of the newsletter arranged by BDC was £113.27p, the treasurer had not received an invoice. Robin Knowles confirmed that cancellation of the July meeting had been published. A notice of cancellation had been placed on the gate of Gage Road chapel. Brian Wells reported that the speakers that were arranged for the July meeting had agreed to attend the meeting planned for the 15th October. Tony Powell said he would extend the booking time to allow for the BOPP AGM. Audrey Harnden reported that there was a delay in the planned survey of internet use, discussed at previous meetings. Cllr. Sue Prutton agreed to raise the issue at a forth coming meeting Pat Wilson informed the meeting of sum in the current account. The recent expenditure was the annual fee for the Weebly website. It was agreed that the public liability insurance would be renewed before the public meeting planned for the 15th October. Concern was expressed about the rapid rise in the number of Covid 19 infections. The possibility of holding future face to face meetings was discussed. A zoom meeting was scheduled for 10am on 10th September2021. Meeting was closed with thanks for attending at 10.30 am
Report BOPP zoom meeting 10am Friday 21st May 2021 Meeting hosted by Brian Wells Attended by Anthony Powell, Sue Prutton, Audrey Harnden , Pat Wilson . Robin Knowles. Apologies received from Alvin Barrick and Hilary Sutton Brian Wells apologised for not admitting Joyce Groves to the previous meeting. Brian Wells said that Hilary Sutton had been unable to make the booking for Gage Road chapel attempts will be made to find alternative contact details. It was agreed that final arrangements on the meeting will be made at the next committee meeting which will be scheduled for the 18th June when more information about Covid 19 restrictions should be known. It was agreed that public Liability insurance provision should be arranged after 21st June if the meeting is to take place. It was suggested that the possibility of having to wear a face coverings at the July meeting should be added to the newsletter. It was agreed that the newsletter should not be sent out until after the 14th June. It was agreed that distribution of the newsletter should be via Whistl using the kind services of BDC as it should be cheaper than using the services of imail. Brian Wells read to the meeting a letter that he had sent on the chief executive officer of Muller Uk concerning milk and more requiring all orders to be on line. He had not received a reply. Audrey Harnden introduced the proposed internet use survey that may be used by BDC. Brian Wells read to the meeting the questions. A discussion about including the survey in the newsletter was in progress when the zoom meeting was timed out Report BOPP zoom meeting 10am Friday 16th April 2021 Meeting hosted by Brian Wells Attended by Anthony Powell, Hilary Sutton, Sue Prutton, Alvin Barrick, Audrey Harnden , Pat Wilson . Robin Knowles Brian Wells opened the meeting giving details of the preparations for the meeting on the 16thJuly. Speakers confirmed were Lee Brook to talk about Social prescribing and Bryony McLening on occupational therapy. Sue Prutton agreed to contact Dan Goodwin to take the other available slot. Hilary Sutton agreed to contact Gage Road chapel for confirmation of the booking. Brian Wells sated that Jonathon Pyle had informed him that future editions of Broadland News were to be published at dates after the BOPP public meetings but would consider publishing an informative note about BOPP. Brian Wells was waiting to hear if BDC could facilitate the bulk sending of a newsletter to BOPP members. Sue Prutton said she may be able to help, if required. It was agreed that Brian Wells should continue to email out useful documents that he received from Norfolk Older Peoples Partnership especially the Your Voice in Norfolk newsletters. Audrey Harnden and Pat Wilson informed the meeting about Milk and More’s decision to only accept orders on line. It was agreed that this decision was removing a valuable service from many who need to have a home delivery of some grocery items. Brian Wells agreed to send a letter to the parent company Muller giving BOPP’s view. It was suggested that Morrison’s provided a suitable alternative delivery service using an efficient phone based system Pat Wilson informed the meeting of the unchanged sum in the current account A zoom meeting was scheduled for 10am on 21st May 2021, after the expected announcement on the Covid19 restrictions Meeting was closed with thanks for attending at 10.40 am Report BOPP zoom meeting 10am Friday 12th March 2021 Meeting hosted by Brian Wells Attended by Anthony Powell, Hilary Sutton, Sue Prutton, Alvin Barrick, Audrey Harnden , Joyce Groves, Pat Wilson . Robin Knowles Brian Wells opened the meeting saying that it had been the correct decision not to hold a public meeting before that planned for the 16th July 2021. He read emails stating that there should be speakers on social prescribing and patient representatives. Brian Wells had not been able to get a speaker on occupational therapy via the NHS hub. It was agreed that if we were unable to get a speaker via the NHS hub we should contact Dan Goodwin as suggested by Pat Wilson. It was agreed that the title of the meeting should be Well Being, Health Matters, as proposed by Tony Powell. Brian Wells agreed to contact communications at BDC in order that a notice of the July meeting could be published in the next edition of Broadland News Mention was made of the National Census on the 21st March. Audrey Harnden said that Age UK were able to help with the filling in of the census form . Sue Prutton informed the meeting that to apply for either a Postal Vote or a Proxy Vote at the May local elections anyone should contact Election Services at Broadland District Council Phone 01603 430483, or Email. email@example.com Pat Wilson informed the meeting of the unchanged sum in the current account A zoom meeting was scheduled for 10am on 16th April 2021, after the expected announcement on the Covid19 restrictions Meeting was closed with thanks for attending at 10.30 am lick here to edit.
Report Zoomed BOPP committee meeting at 10am on 11th December 2020 Host Brian Wells joined members Alvin Barwick, Tony Powell, Joyce Groves, Hillary Sutton Pat Wilson, Sue Prutton ,Audrey Harnden Apologies received from Robin Knowles and Ron Townshend. It was agreed that due to the problems likely to be caused by Covid19 epidemic the first open meeting 2021 should not be held until Friday16th July at Gage Road Chapel, Sprowston. Topic Health and Well being, to be followed by BOPP AGM . The open meeting on 15th October should have the theme of Money Matters at a venue to be decided. It was agreed that a newsletter giving details of forthcoming open meetings would be sent out to BOPP members in 2021 Hilary Sutton stated that BOPP should receive a grant from NCC in the near future . Pat Wilson reported that Emily Millington-Smith MBE had died in November 2020 Sue Prutton said that it was unlikely that we would be able to hold committee meetings at Thorpe Lodge in the near future A zoomed meeting will be scheduled for Friday12th February 2021 Topics to be discussed speakers for planned open meetings and venue for the October meeting . Meeting ended at 10.30 am with messages of Happy Christmas
OPEN PUBLIC MEETINGS 2020 THEME: LOCAL HISTORY Friday 17th April, Scout HQ, Taverham Joe Mason, A History of Taverham Dr Sarah Spooner UEA, The Broads before the Broads, Dr Andrew Tullett UEA, The Broads : a medieval history mystery Friday 17th July, Gage Road Chapel, Sprowston To be announced Danny Buck UEA,Norfolk and the Hopkins Witch-Hunt Dr Andrew Tullett UEA , The Broads : Of Mills and Marshmen 2.00pm BOPP AGM Friday 16th October, St Andrews centre, Thorpe St Andrew Dale Wiseman, From a Village to a Town Thorpe St Andrew 1900 -2000 Dr Andrew Tullett UEA, The Broads: From Highways to Holidays Dr Jon Gregory UEA, The Landscape of Broadland 1700-1900 The meetings will be from 9.30 am to 1.30 pm with tea, coffee, biscuits and a complimentary light lunch. For more information please phone or text BOPP chairman 07543882928
Please note that the meeting due to held on the 17th April at the Scout HQ Taverham has been cancelled
As a result of the continuing coronavirus pandemic all BOPP meetings , public and committee, have been cancelled during the remainder of 2020
Unconfirmed Minutes Management Committee meeting 13th March 2020 PRESENT: Brian Wells (BW), Hilary Sutton (HS), Tony Powell (TP), Audrey Harnden (AH), Ron Townshend (RT), Cllr.Sue Prutton (SP), Robin Knowles (RK), Pat Wilson (PW) The chairman welcomed us to the meeting APOLOGIES: Julian Rudd (JR), Alvin Barrick (AB), Joyce Groves (JG) The chairman reported that Laura McCartney-Gray employment had changed so it was no longer appropriate to be member of BOPP committee. It was suggested that the chairman should contact Rebecca Champion to get replacement NHS representative MINUTES OF MEETING: held 14th February 2020 were signed by the chairman as a true record of the meeting MATTER'S ARISING BW had received a text message from Rebecca Howard, Virgin Money, stating that her job had changed and she had forwarded our interest to Amy Williams TREASURERS REPORT: PW reported that Current Account £932.80, Cash in hand £98.00 Contingency fund £2310.89. The meeting agreed to a cheque to HS for her expenses incurred for mobile phone and to BW for purchase of envelopes for the letters to be sent to members. RK thanked PW for her work as Treasurer OPEN MEETING 2020 and LETTERS TO MEMBERS BW thanked SP for arranging that BDC would send out the letters via Whistl at 38p per copy ,estimated cost of £92.34 for 243 letters . It was agreed that 30 piece sandwich platter be purchased for the April meeting then being added to by local purchased sandwiches if required. A local speaker for the Sprowston meeting in July was still required. It was acknowledged that the meetings may need to be cancelled due to the Covid 19 corona virus. WEB SITE BW apologised for not having noted the recent visits to the web site. TP said that the website should be used to inform about any changes to the proposed meetings. REPORTS BACK TP had nothing to report on the Broadland Dementia Alliance SP informed us about her duties as an Older Peoples Champion. Any Other Business HS showed the meeting the certificates that she had been awarded by Clarion as Digital Champion Date of next meeting Friday 3rd April 2020 HS and SP gave advanced notice of non-attendance. The Chairman thanked the members for attending and closed the meeting at 11.00 am
BROADLAND OLDER PEOPLE'S PARTNERSHIP Minutes Management Committee meeting 14th February 2020 PRESENT: Brian Wells (BW), Hilary Sutton (HS), Tony Powell (TP), Audrey Harnden (AH), Joyce Groves (JG), Ron Townshend (RT), Cllr.Sue Prutton (SP), The chairman opened the meeting saying he hoped it was not too late to wish members a Happy New Year APOLOGIES: Julian Rudd (JR), Robin Knowles (RK), Pat Wilson (PW), Alvin Barrick (AB), MINUTES OF MEETING: held 13th December 2019 were signed by the chairman as a true record of the meeting MATTER'S ARISING None TREASURERS REPORT: BW gave the report from an email received from PW. Current Account £932.80, Cash in hand £98.00 Contingency fund £2310.89. HS had not sent expenses form to PW. SP explained that the councillor’s fund had to be spent in her ward and gave details of how it had been distributed. BW asked for permission to buy envelopes and stamps for the sending of letters to members. SP said she would ask BDC about bulk mailing. OPEN MEETING APRIL 2020. TP reported that he and BW had a very successful meeting with Dr Sarah Spooner Senior Lecturer in Landscape History.BW had used the information contained in a recent email to write a new programme. BW reported that Taverham History group had declined an invitation to attend the April open meeting. It was suggested that Peter Purdy be asked to speak on the recent Roman finds at Aylsham. TP said he would ask Sarah if the proposed talk on witch craft could be put into the programme. WEB SITE BW distributed a chart which showed the number of persons visiting the site VIRGIN MONEY Rebecca Howard had agreed to attend the March committee meeting to explain more about the scheme. It was suggested if we were able to obtain a grant it could be used for the production and mailing of a newsletter, or a possible visit to the houses of parliament REPORTS BACK TP had nothing to report on the Broadland Dementia Alliance JG had attended Community Involvement Panel meeting on the 3rd February. The main agenda item was the merging of the 5 CCGs. Rebecca Champion had produced a large document which had stressed the importance of local influence. JG had said that we were encouraged to join our local Patient Participation Group Any Other Business BW said that he now receives many emails from NOPSPB but not sure how many are worth passing on. He said that South Norfolk Older Peoples Forum had changed its name to Your Voice in South Norfolk, Breckland Older Peoples Forum had changed its name to Your Voice in Breckland, both attempts to get a younger group of members. The committee did not want to change the name of Broadland Older Peoples partnership. BW had a long phone call with Paul Reeve, John Bracey’s son in law, about the development of Pétanque as a pastime suitable for older persons. BW had explained that with the absence of a regular newsletter he could not see how we could help, but agreed to stay in touch. SP read to the meeting a list of Pétanque clubs Date of next meeting Friday 13th March 2020 The Chairman thanked the members for attending and closed the meeting at 10.45am
Minutes Management Committee meeting 13th December 2019
PRESENT: Brian Wells (BW), Hilary Sutton (HS), Tony Powell (TP), Robin Knowles (RK) Audrey Harnden (AH), Alvin Barrick (AB), Joyce Groves (JG), Pat Wilson (PW), Ron Townshend (RT) The chairman opened the meeting by thanking AH for the mince pies APOLOGIES: Julian Rudd (JR), Cllr.Sue Prutton (SP),
MINUTES OF MEETING: held 8th November 2019 were signed by the chairman as a true record of the meeting MATTER'S ARISING TP stated he has made a booking for the St Andrews Centre for October 2020. TREASURERS REPORT: PW reported that Current Account £932.80, Cash in hand £98.00 Contingency fund £2310.89 The hire fee for the October meeting at Acle Methodist church has been paid . PW commented on the very low interest we were receiving from the Contingency fund. We were asked to forward information on accounts with a better interest rate. The meeting agreed that PW should pay HS her expenses on receipt of the completed expenses form. OPEN MEETING APRIL 2020. TP reported that following an email to UEA he had received an encouraging reply from Dr Sarah Spooner Senior Lecturer in Landscape History stating that they had helped other organisations in the past. It was agreed that TP and BW should meet with Dr Spooner to work out the details of the meetings possibly including some local interest.
WEB SITE BW distributed a chart which showed that on about the 29th November and 5th December there had been peaks of 25 persons visiting the website. Following a discussion on the problems with the delivery of the Broadland news BW to contact SP
LETTER TO BOPP MEMBERS The meeting approved the draft of the letter that had been written by BW .HS stated she had a supply of suitable envelopes.
REPORTS BACK TP had nothing to report on the Broadland Dementia Alliance JG had attended the NHS Norwich CCG - Stakeholder meeting 18th November representing BOPP and Acle patients panel. As Norwich CC G does not cover Acle JG has agreed to continue attending the meetings representing BOPP The stake holder meetings will be renamed as Norwich Community Engagement Panel. JG reported on a good NNCEP meeting The meeting received reports of the Supported care service and the similar Network of Escalation Avoidance Team (NEAT) The meeting was also given details of the new of GP Assistant Role which will provide high level non-clinical support to GP practices by releasing the “administrative burden” to GP clinical professionals. The BOPP committee did not think it was a good project.
Any Other Business P W had been informed that District Councillors had been allocated money to support local small groups. BW was asked to get more information from SP. BW read to the meeting a text conversation he had with Rebecca Howard who was lounge manager of Virgin Money in Norwich. She had suggested that BOPP may be eligible for some funding from the Heart of the Community fund .It was agreed that Rebecca should be invited to a future committee meeting. AH , TP and AB are taking part in a Quadram institute study programme following the talk by a member of Quadram in April 2019 Date of next meeting Friday 14th February 2020 The Chairman thanked the members for the Christmas cards he had received and wished all a Happy Christmas and closed the meeting at 11.05am
ROADLAND OLDER PEOPLE'S PARTNERSHIP Minutes Management Committee meeting 8th November 2019 PRESENT: Brian Wells (BW), Tony Powell (TP), Robin Knowles (RK) Audrey Harnden (AH), Alvin Barrick (AB), Joyce Groves (JG), Pat Wilson (PW), Ron Townshend (RT) APOLOGIES: Julian Rudd (JR), Cllr.Sue Prutton (SP), Laura McCartney Gray (LMG), Hilary Sutton (HS), MINUTES OF MEETING: held 11th October 2019 were signed by the chairman as a true record of the meeting MATTER'S ARISING TP said that he had at the present time been unable to make a booking for the St Andrews Centre for October 2020. BW said he had made a booking for the Scout HQ Taverham for the April meeting TREASURERS REPORT: PW reported that Current Account £973.60, Cash in hand £98.00 Contingency fund £2310.89 She had paid for some of the refreshments for the Acle meeting but was expecting a further bill from HS. AB said he was about to receive an invoice for the use of the Methodist church Acle . OPEN MEETING 18th October BW said that it had been a good meeting with excellent speakers at a very suitable venue. It was agreed that the full report should be filed with the minutes of this meeting and placed on the web site. In response to a question from TP BW said that 16 persons attended. This was disappointing has there has been considerable local publicity. The That’s Norfolk company had filmed some of the meeting and had agreed to be present at future meetings. FORMAT LOCAL HISTORY MEETINGS 2020 TP was requested by the chairman to explain his ideas for the meetings. TP proposed a series of ‘Time Line’ talks on the history of Broadland through the ages from ancient times to the present day . BW proposed a talk by a local history group relevant to the venue followed by a presentation of general interest. He showed a list of possible subjects. There were suggestions of other speakers from the committee members. The meeting agreed that TP should contact UEA asking if they thought the project viable and if they could help providing speakers. If there was a negative reply the chairman’s idea could be used . WEB SITE BW distributed a chart which showed that on some days 15 persons had viewed the website, on many days at least 5 persons had viewed the site. REPORTS BACK TP will forward the minutes of the recent dementia alliance meeting when they are available. TP had attended the Aviva Dementia Support Day on Thursday 7th November, in the Marble Hall on Surrey Street .He and others had been impressed by the ‘magic table’ using hologram images . BW had attended the forum chairs meeting on 17th October. The minutes were changed to give the correct date for the BOPP meeting at Acle. The chair, David Button, had attended the Voluntary & Community breakfast meeting at county hall. Each of the forums gave a report on recent activities . There was a presentation by Emily Bason Coordinator for the Norfolk Community Advice network. The full report will be filed with the minutes of this meeting. Any Other Business TP said he would like the committee to arrange a self-funded coach trip for BOPP members, possibly to the Houses of Parliament if permission could be obtained. The proposal was discussed at some length and it was agreed to discuss it further in early 2020 . BW said that it had been suggested that all members should be sent by post details of the meetings in 2020. The minimum cost of 2nd class post is 61p so the estimated cost would be about £122. BW hoped to have software that would enable printing of address labels from member’s data that is held on an Excel spread sheet. He would also request members to send their active email address so as to obtain an accurate list. Date of next meeting Friday 13th December. The Chairman thanked the members for attending and closed the meeting at 11.15 am.
BROADLAND OLDER PEOPLE'S PARTNERSHIP Minutes Management Committee meeting 11th October 2019 PRESENT: Brian Wells (BW), Tony Powell (TP), Robin Knowles (RK) Audrey Harnden (AH), Hilary Sutton (HS), Cllr.Sue Prutton (SP), Alvin Barrick (AB), Laura McCartney Gray APOLOGIES: Pat Wilson (PW), Julian Rudd (JR), Joyce Groves (JG), MINUTES OF MEETING: held 13th September 2019 were signed by the chairman as a true record of the meeting MATTER'S ARISING RK asked SP if the delivery of BOPP news had been changed. SP replied that she was not in a position to know. It was agreed that the matter would be reviewed after the next edition of Broadland News TREASURERS REPORT: BW gave PW report stating that Current Account £1002.30, Cash in hand £98.00 Contingency fund £2310.89 . OPEN MEETING 18th October AB had arranged for publicity and would be at the venue early to make it ready for the meeting. BW and AH reported that the NOPF meeting in Blackfriars hall had been filmed by That’s Norfolk. By email That’s Norfolk had agreed to be at the Acle meeting. BW said that he had emailed the BOPP members that had an active email address. the details of the meeting and the BDC document on dementia. HS will contact PW about provisions for the light lunch. MEETING DATES 2020 14th February Committee Meeting, 13th March Committee Meeting, 3rd April Committee Meeting, 17th April Open meeting, Local History Scout HQ Taverham ,8th May Committee Meeting, 12th June Committee Meeting, 10th July Committee Meeting, 17th July Open meeting, Local History and AGM, Gage Chapel Sprowston, 14th August Committee Meeting, 11th September Committee Meeting, 9th October Committee Meeting, 16th October Open meeting, Local History St Andrews centre Thorpe St Andrew, 13th November Committee Meeting, 11th December Committee Meeting. The November committee meeting will discuss the format of the Local History meetings BW will inform communication department of BDC of the open meeting details for inclusion in the winter /spring edition of Broadland news to be distributed at the end of November WEB SITE BW said that he had added the latest confirmed minutes to the website BW distributed a chart which showed that on some days 25 persons had viewed the website, on many days at least 5 persons had viewed the site . BW agreed to send to LMG information about BOPP that LMG may place on the sites that she controls. REPORTS BACK AH reported on the NOPF AGM and Celebrating the Older Person meeting held at the Blackfriars hall, Norwich on the 2nd October 2019. The report will be filed with the minutes of this meeting. BW had attended the Norwich CCG Community involvement panel meeting at the King Centre Norwich on the 16th September 2019. A report will be given when the minutes have been received .TP reported that the BDDA had held a successful event organised by the steering group at BDC offices .It drew together several interested groups throughout Broadland and Norwich. There was a good exchange of ideas and experiences. It was agreed that similar events should take place two or three times per year. TP had been unable to attend the steering group meeting at the end of September and had not received the minutes. Another meeting had been planned for the end of October attempting to capitalise on the September event. Notice was given of the Aviva Dementia Support Day at the Marble Hall on Thursday 7th November 2019. The Aviva fund that has to be used for charitable purposes was referred to. BW will attend the NOPSP forum chairs meeting on the 17th October 2019. Any Other Business BW showed a document about malnutrition that he had received from NOPSP HS stated that she would be unable to attend the October open meeting as she will be in London to receive an award as Best Clarion Futures Digital Champion . Congratulations were offered to Hilary. Time Date and Venue next Meeting: 10 am, 8th November 2019, Thorpe Lodge.
The Chairman thanked the members for attending and closed the meeting at 10.55 am .
BOPP meeting Acle 18th October 2019 The Methodist Chapel in Acle was an excellent venue for the public meeting themed Wellbeing with the topic of Mental Health. The three invited speakers gave very informative talks Steven Foyster, a peer tutor of the Recovery Centre, After starting with a verse of an appropriate song Steven gave a moving account of the events that led up to his failed suicide attempt that had resulted in a large amount of physical damage that after some thirty years still effects his life Steven has used his experience of mental ill health to support others. Steven said that mindfulness helps him to cope with his problems. He led the audience into a short trial of the technique. Cllr. Emma Corlett, member champion for mental health Norfolk County Council, spoke of some of the many causes of bad mental health. She mentioned that recent research had shown that the bonding that occurs in a baby’s first 2 years was very important for future good mental health. She outlined the many ways that could be used to improve a person’s mental health by dealing with the problems that were causing the extreme depression or anxiety. She said that we should all adopt life style changes to protect our mental health in the same way as for our physical health Before a short break Jackie Thouless informed the meeting of Carers Matter Norfolk, a support organisation funded by NCC and NHS CCGs. Lucy Bennett, older peoples mental health nurse for part of Norfolk, described the types of mental ill health including the various types of dementia. She gave details of the response times expected according to the severity of the illness. Lucy informed the meeting of a number of non-drug interventions that were available. Two members of the audience said they benefited by joining ‘Singing your heart out’. Lucy stated that dementia cannot be cured but there were a number of medications that could slow its progression. The three speakers each wished that more money was available for research into mental illness and hoped that in the future treatment for a broken mind would be as available as for a broken leg. A TV camera crew from That’s Norfolk, Free view channel 7, was present during part of the meeting. A light buffet lunch was available after the close of the meeting.
BOPP goes to Horstead! On April 26th BOPP (Broadland Older Peoples Partnership) organised an open meeting in the Tithe Barn. Those attending were in for a great treat. In the absence of the Chairman Brian Wells, Tony Powell introduced the speakers. First up was Mr Ian Saddler who is a Podiatrist who specialises in Bio Mechanics of the lower limb. He is Clinical director of BX clinic in Norwich. He started by explaining the difference (or not) between Chiropodists, Podiatrists and Foot Care Practitioner. Chiropodist and Podiatrist are the same and must be registered with their professional body. Foot care Practitioner is not a registered title and whilst many receive good training and do excellent work, anybody can use the title. Ian then went on to describe how crucial our walking is; the main purpose is to keep the head stable. An enthusiastic audience fired many questions and Ian responded to all. Many subjects were touched upon like corns, bunions, high heels and toe nail cutting. An enthralling presentation much appreciated by those present. Dancing for Health was the next and Sharon Sanderson gave brief introduction to the history and interim findings of the Fall Prevention Programme which clearly showed the value of the dance programme – there is a 44% reduction of having a significant fall in the group of people who regularly participate in Dancing for Health. Sharon also added that the overall cost of falls in the over 60's to the NHS ran into Billions. The main event however was the practical dancing led by Charlotte. We all sat in a circle and after a brief warm up we were taught suitable choreography to “Oh what a beautiful morning” from “Oklahoma”. Next, we were all tapping our feet and hand jiving to” Reet Petite”. Charlotte clearly demonstrated her abilities to motivate and have fun. Another brilliant session enjoyed by all. For our final part of the programme we went into Tai Chi. Our Leader was “Cosmo” (Costakis Stephanides) who looked every bit the part of a martial arts instructor. It was an immediate practical session and we all stood in our own space. Cosmos explained everything whilst doing various exercises. Fortunately, he appreciated how much exercise we had already done with Charlotte and he promised to be gentle. In Tai Chi it is important to be in and hold the correct positions. Cosmo would walk round the group moving an arm here and foot or knee there while everybody held the pose. At the end of the session Cosmo was almost mobbed by people anxious to know more about Tai Chi. The Tithe Barn was an excellent and interesting venue to hold our public meeting but we were disappointed by the lack of support from the locals of Horstead and Coltishall . Wake up!! You missed an opportunity to have a most enjoyable and informative time. Many thanks to all who helped in any way, meetings like this take a surprising amount of planning and organisation, they don’t just happen. A final and most sincere thanks to our speakers – we could not ask for more and many thanks to Hillary Sutton who was constantly supplying us with tea and coffee. The next Open meeting will be at Gage Road Chapel, Gage Road, Sprowston at 9:30am Friday 19th July and the wellbeing theme will be “Nutrition”. A light lunch will be served followed by a lightening quick AGM.
BOPP is always interested in feedback about the meetings and the organisation. Please email the Chairman Brian Wells firstname.lastname@example.org
BROADLAND OLDER PEOPLES PARTNERSHIP EVERYONE WELCOME Friday 19th July 2019 Open Public Meeting Topic: Nutrition Gage Road Chapel 34 Gage Rd, Norwich NR7 8BN PROGRAMME 9.30 -10 Registrations. Coffee / Tea 10-10.45 Emily Smith, Simon Carding . Gut bacteria 10.45 -11.05 Coffee / Tea 11.05-11.50 Dr Melanie Pascale , Diabetes Prevention 11.50-12.30 Nick Buck Joy of Food 12.30 -1.30 Complimentary light lunch 1.30 -2.30 BOPP AGM
BOPP AGM 19th July 2019 Agenda 1. Apologies for absence 2. Reading, acceptance of minutes AGM 20th July 2018 3. Chairman's Annual Report . It will include a request for additional committee members. 4. Treasurer's Report 5. Secretary's Report 6. Election of Management Committee 7. AOB
Unconfirmed Minutes of BOPP AGM 20th July 2018 The meeting was attended by about 12 persons The meeting was open by the Vice Chairman Brian Wells at 1.1 5pm who gave an apology from Julian Rudd Apologies for absence were also received from David Ward and Rebecca Champion The minutes AGM held on 21st July 2017 were accepted as a true record and signed by the vice chairman The Vice chairman gave an annual report listing the meetings that had been attended and the newsletters that had been published . He paid tribute to Jack Sadler ,an important committee member who had died. The vice chairman reported that the chairman Julian had said that he had enjoyed to support of the committee and looked forward to continuing as a committee member as he has to stand down as chairman after three years in post Pat Wilson explained some of the entries on the financial statement that had been distributed to the members present. Acceptance of the Treasurer's Report was proposed by Tony Powell, seconded by Joyce Groves and agreed by the meeting. The secretary's report was given by Hilary Sutton who outlined her duties as secretary and thanked the committee for their support when she was dealing with difficult family matters. The full reports will be filed with the minutes of the meeting The members of the existing Management Committee; Julian Rudd , Brian Wells, Pat Wilson , Hilary Sutton, Tony Powell, Joyce Groves , David Ward, had agreed to stand for another year. The committee be elected en bloc was proposed by Audrey Harnden seconded by Pearl Palmer and agreed by the meeting. Alvin Barrick be elected as a committee member was proposed by Tony Powell seconded by Brian Wells and agreed by the meeting Audrey Harnden be elected at a committee member was proposed by Hilary Sutton and seconded by Tony Powell and agreed by the meeting AOB Audrey Harnden suggested that the open meeting 19th October 2018 with the proposed theme Coping with Loss should have a speaker from the Deaf Café organisation Brian Wells declared the meeting closed at 1.40pm
ROADLAND OLDER PEOPLE'S PARTNERSHIP Unconfirmed Minutes Management Committee meeting 14th June 2019 PRESENT: Brian Wells (BW), Tony Powell (TP), Pat Wilson (PW), Laura McCartney Gray (LMG) APOLOGIES: Julian Rudd (JR), Rebecca Champion(RC),Alvin Barrick (AB), Hilary Sutton (HS) ,Audrey Harnden (AH), and Joyce Groves (JG), MINUTES OF MEETING: Held 10th May 2019 were signed by the chairman as a true record of the meeting MATTER'S ARISING:Insurance PW had received a proposal for Public Liability Insurance with Zurich for a premium of £99.31. A condition of acceptance was that BOPP should have in place a Safe Guarding Policy and undertake risk assessment of events at future venues. The meeting agreed to put into place a Safe Guarding Policy based on a NCC template and carry out risk assessments as recommended by Zurich and accept the Zurich proposal. BDC member BW read to the meeting an email received from Cllr. Judy Leggett saying that the appointment of a member champion for older people would be in July and she would attempt to get a person as a representative to attend BOPP committee meetings NEWSLETTER: Jenny Mitchel had apologised for not being able to publish the material that had been sent in the next Broadland news. The meeting was shown proof copy of the proposed entry. The BOPP AGM had been added. PW stated it should have shown a phone number. WEB SITE : Following a request for the present BDC maintained BOPP web site to publish meeting minutes an email had been received recommending that we set up our own website .TP said we should have both .BW has started to set up a free Weebly web site MEMBERSHIP LIST: BW reported that he had phoned all the 360 entries on the printed copy that had been retrieved by HS. There were 52 incorrect numbers. There was no reply to 70 calls. 56 former members asked to be removed from the mailing list. 95 persons wished to remain as members, 46 of these used email. TP thanked BW for carrying out the review. JULY OPEN MEETING: Confirmed speakers : Emily Smith and Simon Carding from the Quadram Institute , subject Gut Bacteria. Dr Melanie Pascale from the Quadram Institute, subject Diabetes prevention. Nick Buck from Norfolk Community Learning Services, subject Joy of Food. Agreed Programme 9.30 -10 Registrations. 10-10.45 Emily Smith, 10.45 -11.05 Coffee , 11.05-11.50 Dr Melanie Pascale , 11.50-12.30 Nick Buck 12.30 -1.30 Complimentary light lunch 1.30 -2.30 BOPP AGM AGM: BW said he would write an agenda and ask for confirmation that existing committee members are prepared to stand from 2019 to 2020. PW would discuss with HS food for the complimentary lunch. It was agreed that there should be another request for additional committee members. TREASURERS REPORT: PW reported that the account balances at 14th June were Current a/c £779.78, Contingency a/c £2310.89, Petty cash £98.00. PW had written to NCC giving a financial statement together with a request for money to assist with the predicted expenditure in the coming financial year. REPORTS BACK: TP stated he would be unable to attend the next BDAA meeting The report by AH on the Compassionate Communities meeting held at the UEA on the14th May will be filed with the minutes of this meeting. BW read to the meeting feedback given by AH on the meeting BW stated that minutes of adult social care committee were no longer available LG explained that the committee no longer meets as NCC has changed to a Cabinet style of governance. ANY OTHER BUSINESS: LG stated that the NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups are being reorganised, completion to be expected by December 2019. LG informed he meeting that persons with mental illness were being invited to have a general health check Time Date and Venue next Meeting: 10 am, 12th July 2019, Thorpe Lodge. Meeting closed by the Chairman at 11.20am Research and Advice at Gage Road Chapel
A report on the BOPP organised open meeting at the Gage Road Chapel 19th July 2019 With three speakers from the recently opened Quadram Institute on the Norwich Research Park research on nutrition was the main theme of the meeting . Emily Smith in a post meeting report said that Professor Simon Carding (SRC) had asked the audience: What do they understand by the word microbiome and where if anywhere have they heard it before? How do they think the billions of microbes living in our body affect their health? What types of diseases or illnesses do they think they influence? SRC talked about how gut microbes are important for digestion of food, production of vitamins and overall health. He introduced concept of immunosenescence and how we become more susceptible to disease and conditions as we age. He said it was possible to intervene and change gut microbes instead of just observing them. SRC talked about Faecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT) and its success in treating C. difficile infection An interventional trial has been proposed to see if there are benefits of FMT to patients 65+ years such as boosting immune system, enhancing resistance to disease, improving cognition/preventing or slowing cognitive decline. Twelve persons said they would hypothetically be willing to take part. Finally, SRC introduced details of the MOTION study and explained that this will be an observational trial (no intervention) that has been funded and will be recruiting participants imminently. Flyers were given out, along with postcards about the QIB participant database. (Emily Smith’s full report will be archived with reports of the meeting) The next speaker was Dr Melanie Pascale Clinical Research Facility Manager and Principal Investigator for the Norfolk Diabetes Prevention. Melanie said that the HbA1c test was replacing the Fasting plasma glucose tests (FPG tests) as a measure of diabetes. She described the clinical trials that were taking place concerning Type 2 diabetes. The trials taking place were with groups with normal blood sugar level, those that were described as pre-diabetic and others with established type 2 diabetes. Each group was randomly split into 3 smaller groups. One group was a control with no intervention, another with light intervention, and the final group with intense intervention. In each trial it was shown that control of the diabetes was improved with intervention. The largest improvement was with the intense intervention. When asked if changes in diet could cure diabetes Melanie replied she thought not but diabetes could be controlled by changes in diet and life style. The final speaker was Nick Buck who is Subject Co-ordinator Health and Wellbeing who told the meeting about the organisation the Joy of Food. He informed us the funding now came from the Adult Learning budget. The Joy of Food programme organises short course teaching small groups of people how to cook meals from fresh ingredients Nick illustrated the need for the courses by asking some to list the ingredients in the once popular Pot Noodles . He gave examples of recipes that could be cooked in about twenty minutes and did not contain any unnecessary artificial additives. The talks were followed by a complimentary light lunch
PUBLIC MEETING WELL BEING Mental Health EVERYONE WELCOME 18th October 2019 9.30 am to 12.30 pm Acle Methodist Church, Bridewell Lane Acle NR13 3RA Invited speakers : Steven Foyster Peer tutor Norfolk &Suffolk Mental Health Trust. Cllr Emma Corlett Member champion for mental health for NCC. Lucy Bennett Older people’s mental health nurse for Broadland Complimentary light buffet lunch at 12.30 pm BOPP. Broadland Older Peoples Partnership Contact Brian 07543882928 email email@example.com
BROADLAND OLDER PEOPLE'S PARTNERSHIP Confirmed Minutes Management Committee meeting 12th July 2019 PRESENT: Brian Wells (BW), Hilary Sutton (HS), Tony Powell (TP), Pat Wilson (PW), Joyce Groves (JG), Robin Knowles (RK) APOLOGIES: Julian Rudd (JR), Rebecca Champion (RC), Alvin Barrick (AB), ,Audrey Harnden (AH), and Laura McCartney Gray (LMG) The Chairman BW introduced Robin Knowles who was a district councillor, is a town councillor and had been a very good friend of the late John Bracey. MINUTES OF MEETING: held 14th June 2019 were signed by the chairman as a true record of the meeting MATTER'S ARISING: BW had received an email informing him that Cllr. Sue Prutton (SP) had been confirmed as Member Champion for Older People . BW had sent SP details of future meetings. NEWSLETTER: The July open meeting had been announced in the latest edition of Broadland News It was a matter of concern that some areas of Aylsham and Blofield had not received copies of the publication .JG said that again she had not received a copy BW and PW will contact communication department of BDC. BW suggested that we should consider at the start of 2020 sending by post a newsletter informing members of the calendar of events for the coming year. WEB SITE: BW had set up a free Weebly website for BOPP but there were problems in getting access to the site. It was liked by those who had visited the site. BW agreed to pay the registration fee required to change the web address to www.broadlandolderpeoplespartnership.org which should give better access MEMBERSHIP LIST: BW had sent 67 emails informing members of the July open meeting. 27 had failed. BW would try to correct these. JULY OPEN MEETING: HS and PW and TP to organise the refreshments for the light lunch before the AGM. BW will confirm the meeting with the speakers. OCTOBER OPEN MEETING BW will contact possible speakers Emma Corlett and Steve Foyster. HS will contact Nick Conrad and Norman Lamb. PUBLIC MEETINGS 2020 It had been suggested at a previous meeting that the theme for public meetings 2020 would be local history. Possible venues Taverham in April Gage Road in July and Thorpe St Andrew in October AGM Agenda The meeting agreed to the agenda presented by BW which was as in previous year TREASURERS REPORT: PW reported that the account balances at 12th July were Current a/c £779.78, Contingency a/c £2310.89, Petty cash £98.00. It was agreed a cheque payment of £99.31p to PW to refund her payment made to Zurich insurance for Public Liability cover. It was agreed that the now obsolete lap top and printer owned by BOPP should be written off as having no value. PW had now received printed forms to allow change of signatories to the bank accounts. REPORTS BACK: TP said he was not sure that the planed BDAA meeting had taken place BW & JG had attended NHS Norwich Clinical Commissioning Group stakeholder event. 10am 8th July 2019 This meeting took place at the Wymer room at City Hall changed from the King Centre The format of the meeting was a round table discussion lead by the chairperson on a number of agenda items including what was the understanding about the new and planned changes to local health services; what is working well and what needed improving. It was the general view of the meeting that what needed improving was the passing on of information. It was agreed that another meeting should be scheduled for August. JG had attended North Norfolk CCG Community Engagement Panel Meeting at Aylsham on the 15th May. JG highlighted the presentation by Sarah Higson Patient Experience and Engagement Lead NNUH. Sarah had recommended that there should be joint engagement between health/ care providers and commissioners. Commissioners should go where the forums and groups already exist. There should be more use of plain jargon free English. More work is required in identifying and supporting ‘hidden’ carers. Primary care should be used responsibly, for examples do not miss appointments. ANY OTHER BUSINESS BW reported that South Norfolk Older Peoples Forum had changed its name to Your Voice in South Norfolk and had held a meeting at Hethersett Village Hall. HS said that because of close family serious health problems she may not always be able to respond to communications. Time Date and Venue next Meeting: 10 am, 9th August 2019, Thorpe Lodge. Meeting closed by the Chairman at 11.15 am
BROADLAND OLDER PEOPLE'S PARTNERSHIP Minutes Management Committee meeting 9th August 2019 PRESENT: Brian Wells (BW), Tony Powell (TP), Pat Wilson (PW), Joyce Groves (JG), Robin Knowles (RK) Julian Rudd (JR), Harnden (AH), Ron Townshend (RT) The chairman introduced Ron Townshend who at the end of the AGM had expressed an interest in joining the committee; we welcome him as a co-opted member. The chairman noted with sadness the recent death of Hilary’s husband John and asked for a few moments of silence APOLOGIES: Rebecca Champion (RC), Alvin Barrick (AB), and Laura McCartney Gray (LMG) Hilary Sutton (HS), Cllr.Sue Prutton (SP), ELECTION OF OFFICERS Chairman Brian Wells Proposed by Tony Powell Seconded by Robin Knowles Agreed by the meeting Vice chairman Tony Powell Proposed by Brian Wells Seconded by Audrey Harnden Agreed by the meeting Treasurer Pat Wilson Proposed by Robin Knowles Seconded by Julian Rudd Agreed by the meeting Secretary Hilary Sutton Proposed by Tony Powell Seconded by Audrey Harnden Agreed by the meeting MINUTES OF MEETING: held 12th July 2019 were signed by the chairman as a true record of the meeting MATTER'S ARISING PW said that she had again contacted the BDC communications department concerning the non-delivery in some areas of the Broadland News. She was told that it was because they were using a contractor. It was suggested that the issue could be investigated by SP TREASURERS REPORT: PW reported that the account balances at 9th August were Current a/c £582.30, Contingency a/c £2310.89, Petty cash £98.00. It was expected that a grant of £500 from NCC had been paid in to the account. Thanks had been expressed to Hilary for her help. Cheques had been paid for refreshments at the AGM. It was agreed to send a cheque £50 as a donation for the use of Gage Road Chapel and to prepare a cheque of £30 in memory of John Sutton. Forms for changing signatories on the bank account will be completed after the meeting. OPEN MEETING 18th October BW read to the meeting emails from Emma Corlett agreeing to attend the meeting and giving the name of Lucy Bennett as another speaker. Steven Foyster had also agreed to speak at the meeting. As the speakers had been confirmed BW presented A5& A4 posters for the meeting. TP, JG and PW agreed to submit posters to local publications. Refreshment details to be discussed at the next committee meeting. WEB SITE Problems getting access to the site seem to have been solved. Changes to the structure of the site may be made at a later date. REPORTS BACK BW presented his report on the July open meeting. TP noted that one of the speakers had expected to have Audio Video facilities. Efforts will be made to determine speaker’s requirements before future meetings. TP reporting on the Broadland District Action Alliance said that a meeting had been arranged on the 5th September to plan for an invitation meeting on the 20th September. He hoped to attend both meetings. He was not sure where the BDAA was heading. The future may be an alliance of dementia cafes. Full reports of the above will be filed with the minutes of the meeting. JG reported on the NHS North and South Norfolk CCGs Joint Stakeholder Learning Event concerned with Primary Care Networks held on the 17th July 2019. The agenda included follow up on the joint event in April 2019, understanding Primary Care Networks and a discussion on the Five Year Plan for Norfolk and Waveney. The feedback from the April meeting was that the members had asked what should always be done to enable people to get the best start in life, help communities to live well and to help people to age well. Everyone wanted the same things regardless of age. Primary Care Networks are groups of practices with a combined population of 30,000-50,000. There are 17 primary care networks in Norfolk and Waveney The Practices should work together to achieve greater results. Share staff and services and population health data to understand local health needs and appoint a clinical director role to lead each PCN. Oliver Cruickshank gave details of the consultations that were taking place and said that the 5 year plan will be published in the autumn of 2019 Any Other Business TP presented a list of possible topics for inclusion next year’s open meetings with the theme of local history. It will be filed with the minutes of this meeting. BW and JG had received details of the merger of five CCGs in Norfolk and Waveney to a single CCG by April 2020. BW was surprised by the sentence on page 2 that states the proposal does not focus on any other NHS organisation or NHS funded health services and does not affect hospital or primary care (GP) services. The document will be filed with the minutes of the meeting. JR said he was using the lap top owned by BOPP, the printer was broken and had been discarded. Time Date and Venue next Meeting: 10 am, 13th September 2019, Thorpe Lodge. Meeting closed by the Chairman at 11. 20 am.
BROADLAND OLDER PEOPLE'S PARTNERSHIP Minutes Management Committee meeting 13th September 2019 PRESENT: Brian Wells (BW), Tony Powell (TP), Joyce Groves (JG), Robin Knowles (RK) Audrey Harnden (AH), Ron Townshend (RT), Hilary Sutton (HS), Cllr.Sue Prutton (SP), Alvin Barrick (AB), The chairman opened the meeting reading from a card from Hilary thanking the committee for their support following the recent death of her husband John . He welcomed Cllr.Sue Prutton to the meeting APOLOGIES: Rebecca Champion (RC), and Laura McCartney Gray , (LMG) Pat Wilson (PW), Julian Rudd (JR), MINUTES OF MEETING: held 9th August 2019 were signed by the chairman as a true record of the meeting MATTER'S ARISING SP had obtained from the communications department BDC the name of the contractors responsible for the delivery of Broadland News. They did not have a good reputation . BDC may change the contractors. TREASURERS REPORT: BW gave PW report stating that Current Account £1002.30, Cash in hand £98.00 Contingency fund £2310.89 PW had reported that Lloyds bank had confirmed that the changes to signatories had been made. Cheques can now be signed by PW, BW, JR, JG . OPEN MEETING BW distributed a suggested programme for the meeting This was approved by the committee after the addition of the date of the meeting Arrangements were being made for giving publicity for the meeting. JG reported that an Acle contact had had problems in finding the new BOPP website. BW agreed to send a link to the site. PW and HS are dealing with the requirements of the light lunch . WEB SITE BW said that he had added the latest confirmed minutes to the website REPORTS BACK AH reported on the NOPF meeting held at the Doughty Meeting Room on the 11th September 2019 Verity Gibson gave the introduction . Chris Carter of Home Instead talked about the importance of good nutrition. Khamael Al-Faris from the Norfolk Constabulary spoke about telephone scams and cold callers. Pearl Cooper led an energetic seated exercise session. There was a light buffet lunch. AH reported that NOPF had the same problem as BOPP in attracting existing and new members to meetings. TP reported on the Broadland Dementia Action Alliance gave details of the open day to take place at BDC offices on the 20th September 219 He feared that the event would not be well attended An agenda item was the future of BDAA . TP had suggested that there should a format of 6 monthly meeting of representatives of dementia cafes and other groups working with dementia patients. If this occurs BOPP would no longer be involved BW had received minutes of the Norwich CCG stakeholders meeting held on 8th July 2019 The full reports will be filed with the minutes of this meeting.
Any Other Business TP had sent to BW a BDC document listing Community Dementia Activities and Support. It was suggested that it could be emailed to BOPP members. The 9 page document will be filed with the minutes of this meeting BW has updated the membership list and will use the known email addresses to notify members of the 18th October open meeting. HS informed us that she has been nominated for Best Clarion Futures Digital Champion award for the Eastern region. RK gave notice of a sensory garden at Sprowston library on Saturday 14th September
Time Date and Venue next Meeting: 10 am, 11th October 2019, Thorpe Lodge.
The Chairman thanked the members for attending and closed the meeting at 11.15am.